[OT] Charging UPS batteries outside the UPS

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug-list at davej.org
Tue Aug 7 08:06:59 EDT 2007

Ben Scott writes:
>   Now, I don't want to have to spend $350 on a replacement battery
> only to find out that it's the UPS itself that's shot.  I'm thinking
> if I can find some way to charge up the battery to minimum levels, I
> can at least test the UPS to see if it works.  It doesn't have to hold
> a load.

$350 is a bit high.. I've bought replacement batteries from here
many times without issues:

http://www.powersupersite.com/MZIproducts.cfm?full=1&ID=RBK12-f

175.00 + ~25 shipping for the RBC12

>   The battery consists of eight smaller units, wired together.  The
> wiring is easily disconnected.  Each unit is labeled "12 V, 7.2
> Ah/20HR".  Anyone if I can just hook each unit up to a regular
> automotive battery charger (one at a time) and charge them that way?

I'd say probably so, but dont blame me if they explode.

useful info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-acid_battery

--
Dave