Court Rules: Novell owns the UNIX and UnixWare copyrights!

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Aug 10 17:14:27 EDT 2007

From Groklaw:
http://www.groklaw.net/
 Friday, August 10 2007 @ 04:52 PM EDT

Hot off the presses: Judge Dale Kimball has issued a 102-page ruling
[PDF] on the numerous summary judgment motions in SCO v. Novell. Here
is what matters most:

    [T]he court concludes that Novell is the owner of the UNIX and
UnixWare Copyrights.

That's Aaaaall, Folks!

If anyone can please put this into text for us, that'd be simply great.
I hear there is a filing in IBM also, and we'll get it for your soon.
Here's the docket entry:

    08/10/2007 1077 - NOTICE OF DECISION AND REQUEST FOR STATUS UPDATE.
Signed by Judge Dale A. Kimball on 8-10-07. (sih) (Entered: 08/10/2007)

This is a very important decision for Linux in that it effectively
removes any claim of copyright infringement with respect to Unix code.

In any case, I'm about to leave. I'm sure that this will cause a flurry
of motions in the SCO vs. IBM and SCO vs. Red Hat cases.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group