I've got to get organized.

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Aug 13 09:41:54 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:

> A great line from "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" was
> when Fendall Hawkins (played by Paul Ford) was yelling "We've GOT to get
> ORGANized!".
>
> My situation at work is that I have a linux box on my desk with a window
> open onto a Windoze terminal server so I have access to outlook. The issue
> of my organizational abilities is becoming somewhat of a professional
> issue that my ADHD mind has long resisted. I was told that outlook is more
> than email and that it's a crackerjack tool for organizing as well. I
> don't run windose at home at all but they did give me a laptop to be able
> to connect into.
>
> So after that prep work, what do people use to keep organized under linux?

I'd recommend looking at GTD (Getting Things Done) stuff for techniques
before you start looking at tools.
43folders <http://www.43folders.com/> is a good place to start.
<http://www.43folders.com/>
I like my Palm which I can sync with any computer to backup.  I can run that
backup read only with an emulator on Linux/Windows/Macintosh if I lose/break
my device.  I can also still use the software I sync with.  Mainly I use it
for the calendar and contacts.  I sync at work with Exchange/Outlook.  I use
jpilot on Linux.

For my todos, I use postits on a whiteboard.  Easy and fast to write down,
rearrange, etc.  When I finish I can stick them in the done pile.

I try to carry a pen & notepad around with me all the time.  I could use the
Palm to take quick notes but the pad is faster, especially for temporary
notes.  I wish I could have the text digitally; you can't grep dead trees.
But at least I have it.  I try to put important notes/tips/etc in text files
for later.

The tools are not important, the techniques are.