Ubuntu/Debian package question

Stephen Ryan stephen at sryanfamily.info
Thu Aug 30 10:46:38 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 10:33 -0400, Ed Robbins wrote:
> I'm new to Ubuntu and haven't had a chance to dig into the Debian
> package system in detail.  I've got a system configured exactly the way
> I want it and now want to configure a second system with the same
> packages.  Is there a way to dump out a package list on the one machine
> and import it on the other?
>
> Ed

Yup; 'dpkg --get-selections' gives you that list; I was going to write
up a bit on how to do that, but
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/clone-your-ubuntu-installation.html seems to
have covered that ground pretty well already.  Be sure to read the
comments, as there's a bunch of extra useful information in there
(possibly some typos in the original).