ZFS vs EXT4 vs XFS

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:27:30 EDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>   On the other hand, something which is keeping CPU busy while also
> doing some I/O (say, processing of a dataset), may well find that
> latency stacks up, as the throughput is delayed first by an I/O wait,
> and then a processor wait.

  It may be worth pointing out that I don't necessarily discount the
"software" approach to storage management.  If I've got a workload
that is CPU-bound, and it is being dragged down by I/O wait due to
storage management being done "in software", I've got two options: Buy
dedicated storage controllers, or buy more general-purpose cores.  The
GP cores may well be the more effective route.  In addition to often
being cheaper, scaling better, and distributing better, I can use GP
cores for other things when I/O isn't an issue.

-- Ben