Quick hack to print images with ImageMagick

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Tue Dec 11 12:23:25 EST 2007

Have you ever had an image and said "I want to print that."  As a
Linux user, you know there's about a billion different ways to do
*anything*, so you ask yourself "How easiest to do that?"

"Do I open up firefox, print to file, fit to page?  Do I use
ImageMagic's 'display' command and save to Postscript?  Should I load
the 10,000lb gorilla named 'The Gimp' to create the Postscript?"

As it turns out, many of these will get the scale and/or position of
the image on the page WRONG.  They'll either convert the image to
postscript pixel-for-pixel, scale the width but not the height, and/or
position the image in the lower-left corner of the page.  Fortunately,
there's a really quick & easy hack (as the message subject promises)
to get a reasonable result:

 $ convert -verbose -rotate 180 -page Letter foo.gif foo.ps

This image will come out on your printer upside down, but it'll be
nicely scaled to fit on Letter-size paper.

           convert correct scale resize fit shrink letter page size]