[OT] VOIP provider recommendations

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Dec 17 18:56:07 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 18:01, Dan Jenkins wrote:

> A client of mine is looking into VOIP and has a proposal
> recommending IPTelesis, who I have never heard of.
> They need 40 telephones and 9 voice paths according to the
> proposal, which is estimated to cost $850,
> including 500 minutes domestic long distance.
>
> I am not that familiar with VOIP pricing (though I do use Vonage
> and the like). Just wanted to get
> anyone's take of this vendor and if the pricing seems reasonable.

What else does that include?  Are they running their own PBX or does
that include PBX hosting or an onsite PBX?  Is that a monthly or
yearly cost?  Does it include the telephone rental (what kinds)?  How
many phone numbers?  A separate switch and cable plant for VOIP?

Lacking data, here's a scenario:  if instance they own their own
phones and asterisk box, and want 9 phone numbers the provider I'm
using (Junction Networks) would charge $31/mo (.029*450+9*2=31.05)
plus some setup costs.  I paid, I think $72 for my Grandstream phone,
the drone-worker models are like $40.   My Asterisk box is an $800
machine.  If you got all of the phones I got, over 3 years that's
worth $80/mo.

Assuming everything's provided running on your existing cable plant,
it sounds like a it should be a $400/mo package with a 2-year contract.

Note, I've seen $10,000 Panasonic VOIP PBX's which don't do
everything Asterisk does, so this may be a proprietary model vs. open
source issue re: cost.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/