[OT] VOIP provider recommendations

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:11:51 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 7:49 PM, Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:
> I have not used Asterisk, but one of my associates has and said
> good things about it.

  I saw one of the Asterisk demos (at SLUG) a few years and was blown
away.  Capabilities only available in very high-end, very expensive
proprietary systems, and for "free".  CTI up the wazoo.  Things like
integrated CRM, web-based drag-and-drop call routing, PIM contact list
dialing directory integration, simultaneous OPX and in-house ringing,
voicemail/email bridging.  Oh, and it makes phone calls, too.  If we
didn't have a massive existing investment in our Norstar system at
work, I'd replace it with Asterisk in a heartbeat.  (Replacing 100+
extension sets is expensive even if everything else costs nothing (and
it don't cost nothing).)

   I gather the learning curve is more like a learning cliff, but if
you can climb it, or pay someone else to, it looks ultra-impressive.
And again, this was years ago -- things may well have improved
significantly since then.

-- Ben