LVM problem

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Tue Dec 18 13:57:57 EST 2007

Dan Coutu wrote:
>> Note: Red Hat does have some documentation that talks about recovering
>> LVM metadata although not in exactly the same kind of situation. The
>> command it mentions is something like this:
>>
>> pvcreate --uuid "FmGRh3-zhok-iVI8-7qTD-S5BI-MAEN-NYM5Sk" --restorefile
>> /etc/lvm/archive/VG_00050.vg /dev/sdh1
>>
>> Now it occurs to me that there is some chance that this may in fact work
>> exactly right by changing the uuid of the /dev/sdb volume to match the
>> old uuid that the display commnads are griping about.
Well, in the "file this future reference" department the pvcreate
command with uuid specification did work!

Here's what it looked like in this particular case:

pvcreate --uuid "oACqnk-YQTQ-IiGy-F6Pj-UoBB-kUqM-g6Yu3D" --restorefile
/etc/lvm/backup/VolGroup00 /dev/sdb

Worked like a charm. Now the display commands work again!

# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  4
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               273.34 GB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              8747
  Alloc PE / Size       4369 / 136.53 GB
  Free  PE / Size       4378 / 136.81 GB
  VG UUID               AuDV2N-7nfH-7OpL-KjCN-LWVD-ArpI-7AkTBy

Yeeehaaa!