Eee PC hands on?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Dec 19 16:58:36 EST 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:19:19 -0500
Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> "Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >   (Aside: I remember watching the original "Star Trek", looking at
> > Uhura's ear piece, and thinking "That's so lame.  Nobody would ever
> > want to walk around with something like that hanging out of their
> > ear."  I guess I was wrong on that call.  Truth is stranger than
> > fiction.)
>
> I said it then about Uhura, and I find myself saying it now about
> sales weenies.  And, as for the question, "Why..."  I still have not
> heard a good answer.
>
> The other question I find myself asking is: "Are you aware of how
> silly you look?"  Of course, this time of year, with my wearing my
> Santa hat, I seldom get a response other than a quizical look implying
> I ought to see what *I* look like :)

Remember the MIT "borgs". These guys used to walk round with eye
pieces, portable computers and twiddlers.  One former MIT grad student
who spoke at both GNHLUG and BLU is Thad Starner, still a "borg", but
in Atlanta now:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~thad/

I think in a generation,  fully portable computers the size of PDAs,
with WIFI eye screens, and some interesting new input devices will
start to become common place.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group