Cheap Gigabit switch will allow DHCP thru it?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 13:16:23 EST 2007

Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007 12:31 PM, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to add another hdhomerun tunerbox to my myth setup.  I have
>> a DHCP server running to give the existing tuner its IP address.  Can I
>> add a cheap gigabit switch to add the other tuner?
>> Will the requests for IP address be routed to the server properly?
>>

> I have a cheap netgear gigabit switch and all the devices do dhcp that
> are connected on it.

I have found to my dismay, that I have my on board ethernet port
(gigabit) connected to to my router (only 100Mbit).  It is a dhcp
client.  My add on cheap ethernet card (100Mbit) is connected to the
hdhomerun.  It has the dhcp server for the hdhomerun(s).  Is there a
simple way to swap eth0 and eth1?  I *think* this would work...

I would want the 1Gbit interface to go the the switch and the
hdhomeruns.  It would have dhcp server.  The 100Mbit interface would go
to my router for the external interface.  It would be a dhcp client,
getting its IP from the router.

I could just put in a gigabit ethernet card, but that would be $20 or
so.  What is my best option?
TIA