Motherboard Recommendations, and a hello...

bmcculley at rcn.com bmcculley at rcn.com
Fri Feb 2 22:12:41 EST 2007

Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:
...>
>My experiences with ASUS vary. The low end boards have been problematic.
>The high end boards have been good.
>I like MSI boards, generally have had few driver issues. Not fancy, but
>they've been reliable. I have about a hundred of these running Linux.
>ECS used to be ok, but not in several years.
>My recent Intel experience with built-in video, network, wifi, etc. has
>not been good. Lots of odd kludges needed to support stuff, if it even
>works at all. Works fine with Windows XP, but Linux support has been
>poor to non-existent. Haven't tried their higher end boards in awhile
>though.
>IBM stuff has always worked well with Linux for me.

That's good info.  One problem I had researching my component selections was that a lot of the product reviews are by enthusiast gamers, not necessarily relevent to open source.  For example I didn't see much one way or the other about MSI boards, Dan's comments about performance on them being a little less would make them uninteresting to the lan party crowd.  I did see some mentions of Linux on ASUS that didn't look scary to me, which helped confirm my choice, but comments such as Dan's would have been much appreciated.  As they are now.

Thanks, Dan!