No FOSS drivers for Dell e521 / Nvidia MCP51 High Definition Audio

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:49:37 EST 2007

On 2/5/07, Michael ODonnell <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:
> >But the hda_intel supported it minimally?  What kernel version?
> >The changelog to the module seemed to insinuate that it worked
> >pretty well.
> The hda_intel driver initializes/manages the hardware well
> enough that RealPlayer or xmms or FlashPlayer can at least
> play music through it, and it sounds OK - no worse than the
> SoundBlaster I had in the machine I just retired.  But none
> of those apps can control the volume, so I always have to be
> running alsamixer or tkmixer, as well, for use as a volume
> control.  And neither alsamixer nor tkmixer offer to allow
> me to adjust anything other than the volume - all the rest of
> the mixers and such are either not presented or not functioning.

  Check out http://www.archivesat.com/Linux_audio_users/thread1284163.htm

  Perhaps it relates to your issue, while not directly.  Almost sounds
like alsa is saying, 'Yes, I see some kind of soundcard, but I don't
know Poo about it', and providing very minimal capabilities.  alsaconf
may help.

--
-- Thomas