Logging in via X in multiple places

pds pds100 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 19:51:16 EST 2007

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:25:52 -0500
Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net writes:
>
> > The entries in .Xauthority are generally of the form
> > hostname/protocol:display, so as long as all of your hosts aren't
> > named "localhost" (they all have different hostnames), it should
> > Just Work.  A workaround which you could use (in case there's some
> > reason you don't want to do this properly) might be to make
> > $HOME/.Xauthority a symlink to something
> > like /tmp/$LOGNAME.Xauthority.
>
> I agree "It should just work", however, if the invocation is some
> form of:
>
>   xauth > ~/.Xauthority
>
> versus:
>
>   xauth >> ~/.Xauthority
>
> Then it will never work correctly, since if I log onto "fred",
> .Xauthority is properly configured for "fred".  If, while logged into
> "fred", I walk to "barney" and log in there too, .Xauthority is now
> configured properly for "barney" and "fred" is no longer properly
> configured.
>
> >> be it's own sort of black magic).
> >
> > Oh, and by the way, that should be "its", not "it's". :^)
>
> My brain knows this, my fingers don't :(
>
> Can I convince you that it's still the 19th century, and "it's" is the
> correct spelling for the possessive form :)
>
>   http://www.word-detective.com/back-d.html

One additional thing is to make sure the X process does not contain a
'-nolisten' option.  This is enable by default on at least fedora.  The
simplest way to turn it off is to run gdmsetup, under the security tab
uncheck 'Deny TCP connections to Xserver'.  The Xserver will need to be
restarted.

-pete