Logging in via X in multiple places

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 6 23:02:11 EST 2007

> From: Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net>
> Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:22:09 -0500

> > Just say:
> >
> >    xauth blah blah blah
>
> The point is that the xauth call happens from within the session
> manager code, NOT from within my personal config files.
>
> The call is not literally 'xauth > ~/.Xauthority', but has the same
> effect.  i.e. (g,k,x)dm may well be doing an open() with clobber bits
> vs. with append bits.

If your (ahem, braindead) display munger^H^H^H^H^Hanager is truncating
.Xauthority, it is indeed workaround time.  How about this: prior to
starting *dm, make a backup copy of .Xauthority.  Let *dm munge the
file, and then xauth (in your xsession or whatever) merge the backup
with the .Xauthority created by *dm.  It won't be pretty, but it'll
likely work.