httpd lineage [Was: The new 'Linux Foundation']

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Feb 7 12:44:11 EST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:22, Paul Lussier wrote:

> Didn't RedHat spell it 'httpd' at one point?

It's always been spelled 'httpd'.  I seem to remember UIUC installing
theirs in /usr/local/etc/httpd .  Over the years most of mine lived
at /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd until it got modular and Redhat
started packaging all the useful modules and I could abandon my in-
house scripts (that took a day to figure out) to compile apache with
*three* foreign modules.  Back in the days on the mod_perl list the
first question was always, "are you using redhat's mod_perl"?
They've done a tremendous job at least since the Fedora line began.

I used to be able to 'ps ax | grep apache' because of pathing - with
Redhat's in /usr/sbin/httpd you can't do that anymore - maybe that's
what you're recalling.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/