The new 'Linux Foundation'

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Thu Feb 8 12:50:54 EST 2007

On February 08, 2007, Paul Lussier sent me the following:
> Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> writes:
> > Er, W3C? What relation does the W3C bear to Apache, or even webservers?
>
> Errr, the webserver must spew-forth http, which is defined by the w3c?
> (Just a guess here :)

W3C also maintains their own HTTP server, known as Jigsaw.

> > Do you find bind ('named') irritating in the same way?
>
> Yeah, let's call the software BIND, but the process 'named', and
> squirrel all the config files away under /etc/bind, but call the
> actual config file named.conf.  For added clarity we set the username
> under which we'll run the daemon to bind but the process to named with
> a user argumemnt of bind...

I've never seen an /etc/bind personally, I'm used to FreeBSD keeping the
config in /etc/named. Keep in mind that the BIND package contains more
than just a name server daemon. I think it's perfectly appropriate for
the individual parts of a package to have binary names matching their
functions. For instance the Postfix SMTP server package contains daemons
with such names as master, pickup, trivial-rewrite, smtpd, local,
tlsmgr, and qmgr. It would be very confusing, I think, if all the parts
called themselves postfix.

Granted, I have my server setup so all the postfix processes run as user
postfix, but it seems silly to blame a package for what username you
decide to run it as. BIND's named could just as happily run as user
named, or daemon, or bind, or bob, for all it cares.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>     http://kyzoku.2bithacker.net/
GCM/IT d+(-) s+:++ a25>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+