Can't figure out Firefox Plugin Requirement

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Tue Feb 13 14:36:26 EST 2007

Tech Writer wrote:
> I'm using Firefox in Red Hat EL5, and trying to run a web application
> that requires a Java Virtual Machine. When I start my application, I
> get an informational message that "additional plugins ar required".
> When I click the "Install Missing Plugins" button, it directs me to
> the java web site, where I downloaded the file:
> jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm.  I installed this, went back into
> Firefox, and back to the java website, where I did a "verify
> installation".  All appears good (the verify worked).  Yet... I'm
> STILL getting the message that I'm missing the JVM plugin.

Are you running a 64bit system?

If so, you might want to check out
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

Most 32-bit plugins won't work in 64-bit linux systems.  Nspluginwrapper
tries to bridge the gap... and sometimes even works.

Also note the note in the download page: *Linux x64 download:* Please
use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support.

If you're not runnign a 64-bit system, at least this info might help
someone else.  It frustrated the hell out of me figuring it out...

Brian