Evolution sucks??

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Feb 13 15:28:35 EST 2007

On 2/13/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Well, IMAP and mail processing (filtering, sorting, scripting,
> folding, spindling, mutilating, etc.) are really about two different
> things.  IMAP is for accessing mail once it's processed.

Yep.  Procmail will feed most IMAP storage types also.

  Your example does point out to me, though, that I might well have
> benefited from using MH as the storage format on the IMAP server, for
> tricks just like that (much better than mucking around with, say, mbox
> files).  Now I wish you'd beaten that into my head a few years ago.
> Then again, maybe it took this long to penetrate my thick skull.
>
>   Hmmm, come to think of it, are there IMAP servers that properly
> support the MH format?  (I know UW-IMAP claims to, but UW-IMAP claims
> a lot of things....)

Ummm, UW-IMAP will do MH folders, poorly.  No sub folders.  Reindex on every
access.  I think UW-IMAP might still do a linear search through all the
folders just like it does on mbox.  Try that w/ users that have 1GB folders
on an older IMAP server.

Dovecot is a better IMAP then UW-IMAP and can drop in.  Anything that
doesn't use mbox is also better.

Netscape Mail used a modified MH format for locally stored messages (from
/var/mail or POP).  I had a perl script to convert MH email & aliases to
Netscape format..translated from french via Google.  It even worked w/
minimal fixes.