[OT] End-user uses for x86-64 (was: Why are still not at 64 bits)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:44:29 EST 2007

On 2/16/07, Jim Kuzdrall <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:
>>   I've been asking the question, "How would an end-user significantly
>> benefit from x86-64?" ... Anyone got any other ideas?
>
> End users of portable processing may benefit from clock rate
> reduction.  The 64-bit internal and main memory paths double the
> processor's instruction throughput.

  Hmmm.  Interesting idea.

  Two issues I see:

  One is my understanding: Even if you're working with a 64-bit
architecture, isn't most software still dealing with 32-bit values?
Does throughput double without re-writing all the code to take
advantage of that?

  The second is semi-historical: As I recall, your argument is the
same argument Intel put forth in favor of Itanic -- I mean, Idiotanium
-- I mean, Itanium -- and we all know that is going nowhere at
velocities approaching C.

-- Ben