[OT] End-user uses for x86-64 (was: Why are still not at 64 bits)

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Feb 16 18:25:49 EST 2007

Bayard Coolidge wrote:

>Well, I can think of at least one amateur radio application that comes to
>mind, antenna modelling. And, of course, that's not limited to _amateur_
>radio, but I'm sure the professionals might already be using "professional
>workstations" from Sun, HP, IBM, or whomever, running a licensed UNIX
>variant, etc., etc.

Actually, the products I've encountered were all running under 64-bit
Windows XP. They were in the $25,000 - $40,000 per seat range, which I
gather may be the low  to mid end for these sorts of simulators.

Note: I know nothing of antenna modelling or microwave simulators, I
just helped play one on TV... er, I meant helped setup the stations to
evaluate them for a client. The Unix versions may have already been
culled before they made their selections (mayhap for cost or data
compatibility reasons). The simulations needed 8 GB of RAM and ran for days.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951