[OT] End-user uses for x86-64 (was: Why are still not at 64 bits)

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Sat Feb 17 13:30:29 EST 2007

Ben's point about the advantages of more memory and the comparison to
the 16-bit to 32-bit transition is well taken, but I don't think that
changes my main point:

Typical end users as defined before don't really care about the
differences. As long as they can do more or less what they want to do
with the computer, they won't really notice the difference.

Sure, their 64-bit PC will be faster than their old 32-bit PC, but isn't
that what they expect? It's the same thing going from a 4 cylinder to an
8 cylinder automobile engine. You generally expect better performance.

They don't really care how that improved performance comes about.

I'm not going to argue that 64 bits won't make a difference, just that
typical home and office users won't notice until it enables something
that no one has done before, or not done well. If you can only run the
ultrarealistic, VR porn with teledildonics module on the latest 64 bit
tech, then people will run out and buy 64 bit specifically to get 64
bit. However, before there is a compelling reason for them to get 64
bit, they won't care as long as what they get this year is better than
what they had last year.

Eventually, you won't be able to buy mainstream hardware with anything
less than 64 bit CPUs, and from looking at the latest Dell PC Catalogs
that I get, that time appears to be now or very soon.