Oops. And a brainteaser. Re: The Hosstraders retire

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Sat Feb 17 17:06:01 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:59:22 -0500
Bill Sconce <sconce at in-spec-inc.com> wrote:

> Feb 9, 2007
>
> To All Radio Amateurs...
> >From the Hosstraders, Joe K1RQG, Bob W1GWU, and Norm W1ITT

I overlooked the real discussion!  (I was working from an
announcement I saw in the ham radio press.)  Maddog, who doesn't
miss ANYTHING, pointed out that I'd spammed the list.  Oops.
Sorry.

________________________
Other mh folks may get a chuckle out of this, especially since
we've just been discussing the merits of e-mail folders you can
use shell-based tools on:

Before I posted I looked to see if anyone had already done so...
I searched my GNHLUG folder (mh!) for earlier posts on the subject.
Since each message is a file in mh-land, this command:
    grep -in "hosstrad" ~/Mail/...gnhlug.x/* | less
yields one line from each of the files (messages, headers included)
which have "Hosstraders" in them.  I got a lot of hits, of course.
A LOT. of hits.  My current gnhlug folder goes back to March 2005...

So I worked up from the bottom, inspecting each match until I got
back to messages from before the first of February -- knowing that
no one could have posted about the retirement before it was
announced.  The whole process took only a minute or two, I was
sure I was going to be making the first post, and I was proud of
myself for all that "small tools, each of which does one job well"
stuff which makes Unix and Linux command-line tools such a joy
to use.

Ah.  But.  Does any skillful grepper see what I did wrong?  I'll
buy coffee at Martha's (or Uno's, or ABI) for the first correct
answer...

-Bill

P.S.  md's letter to Norm on behalf of gnhlug was just superb.
      Thank you, maddog, for representing "The Linux Folks".