[OT] End-user uses for x86-64 (was: Why are still not at 64 bits)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Feb 17 18:55:58 EST 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:01:19 -0500
"Jon 'maddog' Hall" <maddog at li.org> wrote:

> I do not think a "128 bit address space" computer will ever exist, at
> least not in the silicon technologies that we are talking about.
Probably not for a while, but I'm 100% certain, there will be a 128-bit
address space computer somewhere down the line, but at the present
time, 64-bit address space is more than sufficient for most of the
biggest computers. It will be the governments that will want the
128-bit address space. On the other hand, I seriously doubt desktop
computers will ever need anything near 64-bit addresses.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group