Why are still not at 64 bits [was Can't figure out Firefox Plugin Requirement ]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sun Feb 18 09:30:58 EST 2007

On 2/17/07, Jeffry Smith <jsmith at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> And don't forget that real Engineers (Professional Engineers) sign
> their work and take responsibility for failures (reputation, money,
> etc).

Not all real engineers need a PE.

Civil Engineers do.
Some Mechanical Engineers do.

There's a process for getting the PE stamp:
1) Get an engineering degree
2) take the Engineering In Training exam and pass
3) keep a journal of engineering decisions w/ a PE's verification
4) after 4(?) years you can submit that journal to take the PC exam

I got my EIT but didn't go beyond that.

For most computer related jobs, you only need experience and to say you're
competent.  Then the hiring company has to agree with you.

Engineering has established:
material strengths
calculations
construction methods
factors of safety

I don't see that in most of the computer world.