ARTICLE - ESR gives up on Fedora

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sat Feb 24 10:27:26 EST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 10:02, Thomas Charron wrote:

>  The dependency couldn't be met.  The package maintainer screwed up,
> and had it dependent on a version of a package that wasn't available.

Ah, OK, thanks for the correction.

Still, if I hit that problem I'd go file a bug at
bugzilla.redhat.com.  Granted I've had mixed success with that avenue.

Were I desperate I'd grab an SRPM and edit a SPEC file.  That's
clearly not something most users know how to do.

This may be a disadvantage of the open source model in a way.  I can
edit the SRPM and thus it doesn't get highest priority from the
developers.   Apple had a parallel problem with a recent security (or
was it Airport driver?) update on the PPC architecture.  They had it
fixed 3 hours later - at least in part because they had to.

For somebody whose CS isn't as rusty as mine - I think one should be
able to setup a dedicated process to watch a repo and build graphs of
dependencies and preemptively find this kind of breakage.  Comments?

-Bill

-----
New Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/