ARTICLE - ESR gives up on Fedora

Nigel Stewart nigels at nigels.com
Sat Feb 24 11:21:14 EST 2007

> I happen to be an rpm over deb person the same way I prefer scotch over
> bourbon. The two may be functionally equivalent, but either way, rpm is
> guilty of stagnation. That combined with a bunch of other factors
> contributes to myself, and lots of others, thinking (for a long time now)
> about switching to Ubuntu.

I recently switched from Fedora Core to Kubuntu, and so far, so good.
I couldn't agree more about the stagnation of rpm.  For quite a while
I've felt that there souldn't actually be a need to extract all the
files into the filesystem.  It ought to be a matter of
virtualising access to the necessary files in the necessary "rpm"s
and leaving it at that.

Nigel