Notes from PySIG, 23-Feb-2007

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sun Feb 25 15:14:53 EST 2007

What a jam-packed evening! Thanks to all who attended the February
meeting of the Python Special Interest Group, held as usual on the
fourth Thursday of the month at the Amoskeag Business Incubator in
Manchester, NH starting at 7 PM. A record crowd of twenty-three
people made it to the meeting: a special salute to the groups who
traveled north from MITRE and west from UNH.

After a round of congratulations on his new job, Kent Johnson wowed
us as usual with Kent's Korner, this month featuring the path module
[1]. Path wraps and extends functions in the os and shutiil modules
and makes file manipulation much easier. Sadly not a part of the
standard distribution, it's fairly well-documented on its home page
[2] and Kent encourages its use.

Bill Sconce ran the general announcements and showed off difflib
module, a means of calculating the differences between two text files
and generating a resulting document. In the case of his demo, Bill
generated HTML, handy to view and print.

Following a break, Shawn O'Shea pointed out two handy sites he had
run across this week: PyVault provides updated RPMs in case you need
a more recent Python version on a system (such as CentOS) that might
be a couple revisions behind. He also pointed to a site [4] which
describes how the Reddit site was rewritten from Lisp to Python
(heresy!) in a single weekend, and the messages of shock and horror
such a switch made. Entertaining reading.

Finally, we got to the main presentation. Dave Rowell of Appropriate
Solutions presented Django. (Dave had a handout, as soon as I get a
copy, I'll update this post with a link). Django is a web framework
with an elegant and simple URL-to-Python module mapping, an object-
relational mapper, a clean admin interface that builds basic data
access and maintenance pages as you build your model, templating,
caching, internationalization and more. Dave had his hands full
giving us an overview in the time allotted, but did a great job.

A remarkable (and not-remarked-on) item happened that evening, too:
presentations were made on Kent's new MacBook, running OS X, Bill's
ThinkPad running Linux and Fluxbox, and on Dave Rowell's Dell running
WinXP (in a VM, I think). Python ran just fine on all platforms. I'm
not sure which was more remarkable: that Python runs flawlessly on
all platforms, or that we got the projector to work on all the machines!

Thanks to Kent, Bill and Dave for the presentations, Janet for the
cookies, Alex Hewitt and the Amoskeag Business Incubator for the
facilities and networking, and to all who made the effort to attend.

Next month's meeting will be an open "project" meeting: bring your
project and ask questions, demo it, or tap the wisdom of the crowd.

[1] http://personalpages.tds.net/~kent37/stories/00021.html
[2] http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/index.html
[3] http://www.python.org/pyvault/
[4] http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit