Thunderbird issue or mailserver issue?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Feb 26 22:31:28 EST 2007

Dan Miller <rambi.dev at gmail.com> writes:

> A few days ago, one of the email accounts I checked started getting
> timeouts (at least thats what Thunderbird is saying). I've ran
> wireshark twice to see the transmission. Each time, I'm getting
> various packets with the wrong checksums. Also, at the end of the
> transmission I'm doing retransmissions requesting UIDL.
>
> I've talked with the admin, he has rebooted the box, but I'm thinking
> there is another issue somewhere. Any ideas? Could it be me or him?
> (He says its fine on his end.)
>
> I've looked at my installed packages, and my firewall. The only thing
> that changed on my end the day before was a new ca-certificates, which
> even after rolling back doesn't fix the issue. Any ideas?
>
> I have tried mutt, at it does say I have mail. I use Thunderbird for
> two other accounts (including this one) and they work fine.

I find that these types of things almost always tend to be client
side, especially when one client works and another doesn't.

Troubleshooting a mail server can be tricky, but I've found a good
approach to determining if it's on my end or the server is first find
out if others can access the server or if everyone is having problems.
If everyone is "suddenly" having problems, ask "What changed?".

If no one else is having problems, then it's you, so ask, "What
changed on my end?"

If it's just you, try debugging with fetchmail.  'fetchmail -vc' is a
wonderful debugging tool, and completely non-intrusive/destructive to
the mail on the server. Of course, you need a properly configured
.fetchmailrc file for that to work, or. be really comfortable with
typing out a long command line.  Since I use fetchmail already, I have
non-auto-polling stanzas set up specifically for doing these types of
things.

HTH.
--
Seeya,