The Debian Flamewar Strikes Back! (was: ARTICLE - ESR gives up on Fedora)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Feb 27 10:25:36 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/27/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> > Most people seem to be doing just one distribution.
>
>   I just *complain* about one distribution.  ;-)  I use a bunch of 'em.

Which means you have a basis for your complaints, having used more then one
;-)

  LVM (which I use extensively) is really nice for trying multiple
> distributions.  Virtualization (VMware, Xen, etc.) is making that
> practice obsolete, but at least right now, IME, a VM is still not the
> same as running something "on the hardware".

I've been mostly VMware Server and find it nice for low CPU/IO stuff.  And
*really* nice when you lease the servers running underneath (Look Ma!  No
reinstall of the OS!)

  When I had a home server (gotta get around to fixing it one of these
> years), it ran White Box Enterprise Linux, a RHEL clone.
>
>   I've got a TiVo and a LinkSys WRT54G, both of which run Linux (and
> are entered into the Linux Counter (http://counter.li.org) as such!).

Oop, I forgot those.  I have 2 TiVos and a WRT54G.  If I'm listing
everything, I have a few Mattel Juiceboxes that I put photos on instead of
printing.  They run uLinux.

I also have various old Sun systems, Macintosh 68k systems, PCs and an SGI
Indy that I might run every now and then.

  I use Knoppix for rescue and similar purposes on a semi-regular basis.

And they're awesome to give out to people asking 'Hey, what's this linux
thing?'

  For servers, I recommend CentOS over Fedora.  It's still just like
> Red Hat, but it has a much longer release/support cycle -- on the
> order of years.  With Fedora basically EOL'ing releases after a year
> or so, I find CentOS much nicer for servers.  http://www.centos.org

I probably should switch.  I use ffmpeg to convert stuff for the TiVo vi
Galleon.  The Solaris version of ffmpeg doesn't have all the codecs
available.  Fedora had 'em in yum.  My Xubuntu seems to be missing some.
How is CentOS on codecs?

> Solaris 10u3 x86 on my file server (ZFS rocks!)
>
>   Oh yah.  I want to try that, too.

You do need to be selective in your SATA cards.  I got one that gave me <
2MB/s where it should have been 20MB/s.  I ended up building a new server w/
builtin SATA (same as someone else on the ZFS was using) and get 60MB/s.

Oh, for the TiVo people, it was *very* easy to install Galleon on Solaris
x86.  I had to install a bunch of java packages on Fedora to get it
running.  Solaris had it all by default.