QuantumBooks Waltham is closed

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Feb 27 13:55:06 EST 2007

> Today, the Internet is hurting many brick and mortar businesses.
Additionally, the big book retailers, like Barnes and Noble, now carry
a number of technical books. And, don't forget, the New England Mobile
Book Fair in Newton also has a decent technical book selection with
discounts.

I just bought a bunch of books from Amazon. I used to buy from bookpool
but they charge shipping which effectively eliminates them from the
competition. I see *no* reason to go to a local bookstore to buy since
their prices don't even try to compete. It's not a long-term good thing
for the B+Ms but price is important to me. There are a lot of 'net bizs
out there that I won't buy from because of the kwazy shipping costs. So I
guess the cost is much more frequently important than the ability to
physically browse.

steveo at syslang.net