Need help with new monitor

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Jan 3 13:28:56 EST 2007

On Tuesday, Jan 2nd 2007 at 17:40 -0500, quoth mike ledoux:

=>On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 05:26:02PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> Lots of good stuff going on. Nothing is working exactly the way I'd like
=>> it to. The closest I've gotten is
=>>
=>> http://steveo.syslang.net/XF86Config-4
=>>
=>> which gives me a display of the desired 1440x900 but is for some
=>> mysterious reason yielding a virtual display of 1440x1024. I can push the
=>> display up and down to see the missing bits. Is there some directive that
=>> will lock the virtual display to be the same as physical? The one I put up
=>> on the web does use a modeline that I got which is supposed to be right
=>> for the 1440x900. I have no idea where the 1024 is coming from.
=>>
=>> Anyone?
=>
=>It is coming from the "1280x1024" mode you've left in the display
=>subsection--X.Org uses the largest setting in each dimension from
=>all of the modes to choose the virtual display size.  Remove it and
=>your virtual display will be the same dimensions as your physcal.

It works. I'm as happy as a little girl. And I am reminded why my mother
doesn't use Linux. Seriously, computation of this modeline is bogus. And
the specs for the min and max sync frequencies not being specified by the
vendor is bogus. Is this a trend? Is this just going to get worse as more
vendors stop supplying the needed data? The solution here was a result of
gleaning from past discussions that might not have been applicable to my
particular situation. I think I just got lucky.

steveo at syslang.net