encountered two fedora 6 issues - underscore in host name, :*: in passwd file prevented logins

Python python at venix.com
Mon Jan 8 20:41:41 EST 2007

(For Your Information - it may save you some grief)

amanda would not backup my laptop.  There were no useful error messages
in the amanda log.  I finally ran tcpdump to monitor the chit-chat and
discovered that reverse lookup for my LAN (192.168.0.x) numbers was not
working.

host 192.168.0.5
Host 5.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
mem.c:877: INSIST(ctx->stats[i].gets == 0U) failed.
Aborted

named-checkzone approved the zone file; named-checkconf approved the
overall configuration.

named-checkconf -t /var/named/chroot -z
	(use chroot style of operation)
	(load the zone files)
gave an error for a host name s_kvam in the reverse lookup file.  Once I
changed the hostname to be skvam, the reverse lookup worked.

The other issue was an inability to login as root!  This spooked me, but
there was no evidence of foul play.  My normal account and sudo worked.
The fix consisted of changing the root line:

< root:*:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
---
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

The problems were on a system that I upgraded from FC3 to FC6.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp