linux newbie

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 21:31:55 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, mike miller <k4ghp at comcast.net> wrote:
> the next line is "bringing up interface eth0; 3c501 device eth0 does not seem to
> be present delaying installation (failed)".

  "3C501" would be, if I remember correctly, 3Com's first PC Ethernet
card, circa 1985.  I'd say something is being improperly identified.
Even Fedora really does think you have a 3C501 when you don't, or
Fedora thinks you have something else, but is loading the wrong
driver.

  Interesting.  This:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60870

suggests that it's a bad diagnostic; the system is trying to tell you
it could not load the driver for *your* NIC, but incorrectly reports
it could not load the 3C501 driver.

  You might try running "system-config-network" to see what the system
thinks you have.

  According to

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=311

your motherboard has a "Realtek 8118B Gigabit" network controller.
I'm not having much luck finding info on that.  Is it perhaps a very
new or unusual chip?  The one interesting find I made was

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-108031.html

which suggests building the driver from source -- yuck.

-- Ben