$_

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 14:15:32 EST 2007

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:56:55 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net>

> ../dirname, it won't work. Besides all the rest of bash that you want to
> learn, you want to learn the readline command shell-expand-line which by
> default is bound to M-C-e. (Try it. It really works.) So when you ask bash
> to perform completion on something weird, just expand the line first and
> then your completion will have something to operate on.

Weee!  That's sweet.  M-C-e (aka ESC ^E) expands ! constructs and keeps
the cursor in place (it doesn't home or end the cursor), so fancy editing
like this is possible.  It even expands $ parameters...

$ echo $HOME<<M-C-e>>
...magically turns into...
$ echo /home/me

Doesn't seem to work on {} though.

> readline. For my money, the readline section in bash should be seperated
> since readline is used by lots of other stuff (e.g., gdb, python, etc...)
> but as long as you know where to find the docs, you're in business.

Why?  Don't you think the bash man page could be made any longer? :P