Reliable wireless APs?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Wed Jan 10 23:40:27 EST 2007

Chris Linstid wrote:

> I've tried both DD-WRT and HyperWRT (also the thibor version) and one
> thing you absolutely have to do is clear the NVRAM after you flash
> the ROM.  Otherwise, you end up with strange default settings like
> "Undefined 1" showing up plus other random oddities.

Thanks. I had suspicions that I messed up some units for that reason. I
restored them all to factory and then reflashed with another firmware
and used them elsewhere. I do know that at a site where I installed four
units, one of the engineers excitedly talked to me about the nice
features of the new firmware. This site experienced one of the partial
resets to the factory SSID & security. So, I suspect he fiddled with all
those nice new features. :-)

I have been very happy with the WRT54GL overall and use it for my
preferred wireless router. I have a few dozen of them in use with only
those few oddities. I don't use most of the features (who does), but the
flexibility is what makes them valuable to me. This is, of course, the
reason I use Linux in the first place - flexibility in solving our
clients problems.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951