Peterborough LUG meeting

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Fri Jan 12 09:28:45 EST 2007

My laptop is happily displaying on my monitor (through a KVM) here at
the office.  Perhaps there is a GPS device that disables the external
video port when I am more than 10 miles from the office.  Hopefully, I
will find a better explanation.

Much thanks to Bill Sconce for being there to set up a VNC connection
and allowing me to drive from his laptop.

Let me provide some URLs in a clickable form for any folks who are
interested:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html
iptables is the IP packet processor that provides a stateful firewall in
Linux.
This page covers much more than just iptables.  It provides detailed IP
protocol explanations.

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1433/
Short example of using bridging and ebtables to control traffic on the
ethernet frame level.  Another case of controlling local packets without
regard to the IP addressing.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/
Documentation part of the openwrt web site.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/NetworkInterfaces
Contains the block diagrams to show internal operations.

In pushing things around just now, the external monitor went blank.
It's a hardware problem!  My cable here is pretty stiff so it normally
provides some upward pressure on the external video connector.  With no
pressure, the screen goes blank.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.