impromptu web server using netcat

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sun Jan 14 22:01:15 EST 2007

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 04:31:54PM -0500, David J Berube wrote:
> Note that the netcat is considerably lighter weight than either the
> Python or Ruby intepreters. Also note that there is a nice degree of
> elegance in that the NetCat solution serves one file and only one file.

On some Windows machines, and many Linux distributions, Python is
installed by default these days -- it's often used for setup and
configuration of the system, which means that you might have python in a
situation where you don't already have netcat (I don't tend to install
it on debian machines until I run into a need for it.)

So, although netcat may be more lightweight, Python may still be lower
setup cost wise.

I've never found a machine with Ruby installed and not Python yet though
:)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt