Linux at least mentioned in passing as an alternative to Windows

Mark Mcsweeney mark.mcsweeney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:51:14 EST 2007

> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:34:11 -0500
> Subject: Re: Linux at least mentioned in passing as an alternative to
> Windows
> Here's the text
>
> ----
> Or, consider something else entirely. If you really want a new operating
> system, there are plenty of options out there for experimentation. And
> they're free.
>
> Yeah, I'm talkin' 'bout Linux. I know what you're thinking: no
> applications, spotty hardware support and lots of command-line typing. I
> can't honestly tell you that Linux is free of these disadvantages, but it's
> easier than ever to try out Linux without a lot of pain.
>
> Various Linux distributions have long been available for free download.
> All you needed was patience and a CD burner and a willingness to futz with
> your hard drive's partitions. That was too much commitment and risk for some
> people.
>
> Now, many distributions let you download what's called a Live CD. There's
> nothing to install — once you download the operating system and burn it to
> CD, it runs right from that. In some cases, you can even download to a USB
> flash drive. Best of all, a few distributions have been made a lot smaller
> for a quick download.
>
> Take SLAX. Based on the hardcore Linux geek's favorite distro, Slackware,
> SLAX comes in a few compact sizes. Frodo Edition is 53MB, but it's just a
> text console. Popcorn Edition is twice the size at 115MB, but includes a
> graphical user interface, the Firefox browser and AbiWord document editor.
>
> Damn Small Linux packs a graphical desktop, a music player, three
> browsers, spreadsheet and word processing programs and a bunch more into
> just 50MB. Like SLAX, it can run from a mini CD or a USB drive.
>
> There are literally too many other options to list here, but try looking
> at www.livecdlist.com. Or just buy a Mac.
>
> ---
>
> I think he's a bit off the mark. Ubuntu, Fedora, Etc. are all VERY easy to
> install (easier than Windows at this point). Also, I don't know any
> "desktop" linux that -requires- you to mess around with partitions during
> the install.
>
> He also fails to bring up really quality desktop linux distros like I
> mentioned, focusing more on LiveCDs (and not very popular or widespread ones
> in my opinion).
>
> Talking about a "Frodo edition" that's only 53MB but is only a console is
> going to have people worried about trying Linux running for the hills.
>
> On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Mark Mcsweeney wrote:
>
> Saw this article in the Hippo Press:
>
> http://www.hippopress.com/techie.html
>
> mentioned was the option of switching to alternative OS when Vista comes
> out.
>
> I also wrote an email to him recommending that he look at some of the
> current distros and review them in his columns.  It will be interesting if
> and how he responds.

> [...]

I agree that he is a little "off the mark".  I appears to me that it has
been a long time since he tried a Linux distro. In my mail to him I
specifically mentioned Ubuntu and all of the other "buntus" and that they
have come a long way and are much more "mainstream" now and are very easy to
install.  In addition I encouraged him to attend a the MerriLUG meeting in
Nashua tonight and to check out the GNHLUG website to see all of the LUGs we
have here in NH and how to get involved.

Mark