Linux at least mentioned in passing as an alternative to Windows

kenta kenta at guster.net
Thu Jan 18 14:30:30 EST 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Travis Roy wrote:
> Here's the text

Thanks for posting the text.  For everyone's benefit I've trimmed it down
to a single framented sentence:

> Or just buy a Mac.

I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes and thinking "Ugh mac fanboy!"
I really do like my linux machines. At my home they're like the red headed
step children of the family. Here's why:

I have DVD burning issues. Once, when I was running an early SUSE 9.x
release I was able to burn DVD's. Ever since moving to Ubuntu
(Dapper/Breezy & now Edgy) the system wont recognize blanks.  Yanked the
drive the other day and it burns fine under another OS. I have yet to
really dive into why there is no love for the dvd burner. I may run
cdrecord to see if I'm having a similar issue here as Paul, but at this
moment I don't recall what error was coming up.

On the same machine I've tried to get beryl working to no avail. At one
point I did get it loaded but it was absurdly slow so I don't count that
as "working". Even without beryl I swear that gnome seems sluggish. The
simple act of dragging a window around the screen isn't quite fluid. Tried
both the 'ati' and 'fglrx' drivers with no noticable improvements. I'm
starting to be an ATI hater so to top it off...

Upgraded my MythTV box to a newer ubuntu release and with the new release
I'd tossed on the newest ATI drivers. Now mplayer no longer works
correctly to display full screen video unless I use the -vo x11 option
which results in some playback choppiness and inability to zoom/scale the
video as it's playing :( However after some research I guess ATI is to
blame due to some issues with their driver. Here's a word of advice for
anything building a myth box and will be attempting to use composite or
s-video out directly to their TV: Get a Nvidia-based card.

-Kenta