Vonage vs. Verizon [was: Anyone had experience with Comcast SMC modem/router? ]

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:14:01 EST 2007

On 1/18/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> Can your network survive the collapse of a building on top of it?

  s/a building/one of the biggest buildings in the world/

> What other system is engineered for failure as well as the POTS stuff?
> Railroad signaling?  Lunar Lander life support?  Fighter aircraft?

  I know critical military and spaceflight hardware certainly is,
which is why I qualified my own statement with "public sector".   :)
I would expect commercial flight hardware is probably similarly
robust, but I don't have any real knowledge of the stuff.  The only
other public sector stuff I know of with this level of fault tolerance
is medical life support equipment.

  Railroad signalling is a good possibility, I didn't think of that.
One might expect that to be highly fault tolerant.  On the other hand,
from what I gather, it isn't.  From what I can tell, they appear to
rely on the engineer to make intelligent decisions in the event of
signal failure.

-- Ben