Does GNHLUG need Internet-enabled calendars?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Jan 19 16:27:46 EST 2007

Ted Roche wrote:

> All right, you two. No religious arguments here. If Bill is willing
> to install, configure and maintain the application, we'll consider
> Java. If you're willing to do it, we'll go PHP. If the Ruby SIG folks
> have some ideas, go for it. If Mr. Sconce wants to do it, Python; Mr.
> Freeman, emacs.
>
> Let's first figure out which we want and then evaluate platforms on
> features, maturity, maintainability and reliability.

Absolutely. Just like I often have to tell clients who've just informed
me they need 5 servers and 17 computers to "do accounting," but they
haven't even chosen any programs: First decide the tasks you want to do,
then we'll choose or develop software to do it, and only then we'll
choose platforms on which to run the software. We all know better, or
ought to, than to tout one tool over another before we even know the
problem space.

Personally, I figure we can just do it in bash, grep, awk and sed. :-D

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951