PVR-150 (1042, 1045, 1062)?

Adam (gnhlug) gnhlug at thehelblings.com
Mon Jan 22 10:13:37 EST 2007

On 1/20/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> "Adam (gnhlug)" <gnhlug at thehelblings.com> writes:
>
> > I'm shopping for a tuner card, and I thought I would start off with a
> more
> > basic one. Last night we saw the Hauppauge PVR-150 that had a remote and
> > what appeared to be a spectacular IR (booster?).
>
> As someone who wishes he could have been there, and is also planning
> to build a MythTV rig, I'm curious why you're interested in the
> PVR-150.  Is it the price? Is it the bundled remote/IR thingy?

The price isn't a big deal for me, but it is one of the cheaper cards. The
main reason I went with the PVR-150 (1062) is because it does come bundled
with the remote/IR. Plus this is a pretty basic card, that appears to be one
of the easier cards to get working with MythTV. This will be my first
venture into the MythTV realm, so I thought I would start small and build
up.

Eventually I hope to have a full HD setup working, but for now I'm taking
baby steps. The first is to get an IR remote with a single tuner card
working in a singular BE/FE setup. I am even planning on switching distros
for my MythTV, going to go from Gentoo to Fedora 6.

I was considering going with the PVR-350, since it's both an encoder
> and decoder.  The price (around $150 or so) seems more than reasonable
> for 2 tuner/encoders with an on-board decoder as well.  This would
> allow you to build a pretty decent setup on otherwise very modest
> hardware which would allow for both the recording of multiple,
> simultaneous shows, or the simultaneous recording/viewing of shows.
>
> Or did I miss something?

As stated in another response, the PVR-350 is still only a single tuner, you
probably meant the PVR-500? My setup will include an Athlon 1300+, 768mb of
DDR, the PVR-150 (1062), nVidia 3DProphet III, SBLive! sound card, and
3x120GB HDs in RAID 5 (probably).

-Adam