*NIX on Itanium

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Tue Jan 30 14:17:12 EST 2007

mike shlitz wrote:

> I recently acquired (gratis) a Compaq ProLiant DL
> 590/64 Quad Itanium (Merced) server.

Congratulations!  Better you than me.  :-)

> Reviewing HP/Compaq's forums I don't see much mention
> of the 590/64, which tells me it is either (A.) a
> hefty paperweight, or (B.) pretty much trouble free
> compared to every other HP/Compaq server out there.
> I'm inclined by virtue of experience to view (A.) as
> the most likely scenario.  Any advice, caveats, or
> expressions of sympathy?

It was probably the first 4 CPU Itanic system HP made.  Somewhere
along the line, Merced went from being the great introduction
to a great new architecture to being placeholder until next Itanium
came out because it couldn't compete with some of the x86 chips that
were coming out.  I doubt many of those systems were sold.  They are
dual function - boat anchor under water, space heater above.  If you
have a cold basement, you may be in luck.

> Best choice for *NIX OS for this machine?

I believe HP had HP-UX and Linux running on it.  Compaq had been involved
in porting Tru64 Unix to it, but abandoned the effort when HP bought them.

> The last time I
> heard someone say "Itanium" at a LUG meeting, it was
> followed by hoots of laughter.

Next time, be sure to include "Merced."

     -Ric Werme