Recovering file attributes from snapshot

Andy Bair pab at korelogic.com
Tue Jul 3 13:46:49 EDT 2007

FTimes can do what you want.  It allows you to collect file attributes
before and after an event via the map mode then compare the results
using the compare mode.  FTimes uses a field mask for collecting file
attributes and for the comparison.  To collect all file attributes
before and after an event, you could use the commands below.  Note:
these commands collect all file attributes because of the field mask
"all".

  ftimes --mapauto all > ftimes.before
  ftimes --mapauto all > ftimes.after

Now you can compare the before and after maps using the compare mode of
FTimes.  In the example below, we only compare the uid, gid,
permissions, and file attributes between the FTimes maps.

  ftimes --compare none+uid+gid+mode ftimes.before ftimes.after

Now you can take the compared results and extract the attributes you
need from the ftimes.before file and reconstitute your environment.

You can get more information on FTimes here:

  http://ftimes.sourceforge.net/FTimes/index.shtml

And the FTimes man page is here:

  http://ftimes.sourceforge.net/FTimes/Man+Pages/FTimes.shtml

FTimes works in all UNIX's, OSX, and Windows.

If you need more help, please give me a shout because you can do a lot
more with FTimes ... I didn't even scratch the surface.

Andy