Sound card for Linux?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jul 5 17:10:11 EDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 16:21, Ben Scott wrote:

>   I'd like to avoid external attachment (USB, etc.).  I've got enough
> clutter attached to my computer as it is.  So I'm looking for PCI (or
> PCIe x1, I suppose, but I don't think anyone's making such yet).
> Though I guess if I have to go USB, I will.

Many mobos have unused internal USB headers and a cable with the
appropriate connector and female USB-A port is cheap.  You can make
the connection internally and put an audio port in a PCI slot
bracket, if you want to.  There's a lot to be said for the interrupt
efficiency of a USB-based audio(and keyboard, mouse, etc.) solution.

If it were *my* box I'd take the opposite route and get the analog
audio cable out of the RFI hell that is the inside of a PC and run
the USB cable all the way to the speaker, then make a very short
analog jump.  I have a Griffin i[mumble] USB dongle I do this with.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/