Xeon 64-bit?

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Mon Jul 9 13:08:10 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> klussier at comcast.net writes:
> > Do I need the ia64, the amd64, or something else?
>
> Well, who makes the Xeon?  I'd go with the kernel for that chipset.
>
> Hint:  AMD does not make the Xeon ;)
>        iaXX stands for Intel Architecture where the XX is number of bits...

As I understand it, the Intel Xeon 64 bit CPUs are EM64T, not IA64. The
only IA64 CPU I know of is the Itanium. An AMD64 kernel should be appropriate
on an EM64 machine. To the best of my knowledge, an IA64 kernel won't work
at all.

amd64 = em64 = x86-64[1], I believe it's generally referred to as amd64 because
AMD beat Intel to market with a widely used x86 compatible 64-bit CPU.

[1] for certain values of "="

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>     http://kyzoku.2bithacker.net/
GCM/IT d+(-) s+:++ a26>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+