Network Monitoring

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:15:42 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, klussier at comcast.net <klussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> I find myself in the dis-pleasing position of needing to monitor internet usage in one of
> our branch offices. I am looking for recommendations on packages for this purpose.

  I use the Squid HTTP proxy for this.  GPL.  I have it setup to talk
to our Active Directory server to do user authentication.  It supports
the same NTLM that MSIE uses, so user authentication happens
automagically.  (We want certain users blocked, etc.)  Alternatively,
if you just want monitoring, you can use a firewall rule to make Squid
a transparent interception proxy.  Users won't even know it's there.
Depending on your usage patterns, a proxy can also result in some
bandwidth savings.

  http://www.squid-cache.org/

-- Ben