[OT] Looking for ancient boot media

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Wed Jul 11 20:47:46 EDT 2007

Bill Ricker wrote:
>> We have come across ancient TRS-80 Model III with dual 180K 5.25"
>> floppy drives.  But we lack boot media.  Does anyone here have one
>> they'd be willing to copy (assuming you have the means to do so) or
>> part with ?
>>
> Whether my boot media is any good anymore I don't know ...  should
> have both MMS FORTH and original CPM/TRSDOS.  Then there's the
> question of if I have any blanks that will accept a write, and if the
> 80-III that is a very large wedge shaped doorstop here will actually
> boot enough to copy ... but there's a chance I might have a spare
> CPM/TRSDOS that would be plausible.
I know you can write a TRS-80 disk on a standard PC floppy drive and
controller. Years ago I wrote disk formatting and document conversion
software. The TRS-80 format was one I did back then. If anyone needs
5.25" floppy drives and disks, I ought to have some in the old stock room.

A quick Google found Linux tools to do the formatting and presumably
copying, so a working TRS-80 is not needed, just a 5.25" floppy drive
(and Linux, the wonder tool, to bring it On Topic).

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951