OpenVPN TCP vs UDP

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 10:58:00 EDT 2007

I saw the various discussions of OpenVPN TCP vs. UDP on the list, and in
particular saw some people saying "TCP over TCP is bad, avoid unless
necessary" and others saying "That's only under rare circumstances."  I
switched the work VPN from TCP (which it has been for almost a year) to UDP,
and users at remote offices are reporting that operations which formerly
took 10-12 seconds (opening a file on a network share) now take <1 second.
I thought that was worth mentioning on-list...

--DTVZ